7 Important Tips for Preparing a Driveway or Parking Lot for Sealcoating
Maintaining your personal property and keeping it looking great helps to retain or improve the property value and arrest the possibility of premature wear and tear in the future. If you have found your way to these vital tips, it is likely that you already understand the benefits of sealcoating a driveway or parking lot every few years.
Sealcoating is designed to protect the asphalt surface from the elements, restore unsightly fading, and lengthen the life of the asphalt surface by adding more durability.
Preparing for asphalt repairs in Sanford requires some work to ensure that the process of having a driveway or parking lot seal coated is successful. Here are some expert tips for preparing your property for the sealcoating process:
- Always be sure to check the weather report to see if cold temperatures, snow, or rain is expected in your area. Sealcoating should not be done when temperatures are higher than 90 degrees Fahrenheit due to the chance of melting some of the critical materials used in the process. If the weather forecast is not favorable for sealcoating your asphalt surfaces, you should reschedule the work for better-suited conditions. In addition, Sealcoating should never be done in extremely hot, humid, cold, or rainy conditions.
- It is essential to wash and rinse the area if there is any chalk, vehicle fluids, or fertilizer present on the driveway two to four days before sealcoating is scheduled to begin so there is sufficient drying time before the sealing process begins.
- Suppose the lawn area adjacent to the driveway or parking lot being seal coated appears to be overgrown. In that case, it is vital to mow and trim away any vegetation growing along the edges of the asphalt surface for smooth application of the sealcoating materials.
- Always be sure to turn off your sprinkler system at least 24 hours before beginning any sealcoating process. Please do not use sprinklers again for 24 to 48 hours after sealcoating is completed to ensure a successful application that will last long into the future.
- Do not forget to make alternate arrangements for any deliveries and let the delivery person know that the area of the parking lot or driveway being seal coated will be inaccessible for at least 48 hours. This will ensure no damage is done to the site by using it too soon after the process has been completed.
- You should remove outdoor furniture, garbage cans, toys, bicycles, trash, flower pots, cars, trucks, trailers, sheds, and any other items in the area before the sealcoating can begin.
- Keep pets secured in the house or the backyard so that they do not inhibit the sealcoating process or cause damage by walking on it before it has had time to dry and cure.
Now is the perfect time of the year for asphalt repairs in Sanford. So give us a call to schedule a time for sealcoating your driveway or parking lot today.